Master of Science in Analytics
Get ready for what's next in data science with rigorous classes, expert instructors, leading-edge technology, and an unparalleled network of industry professionals.How to Apply
At a Glance
- Master's Confers Alumni Status
- Full-time, Part-time
- 5 quarters Full-time 2-3 years Part-time
$4,965 per course
Round 1: Spring 2022
Round 1: Autumn 2022
Round 2: Autumn 2022
Data Science is changing business. Find out how with the University of Chicago.
Designed for professionals with backgrounds in technical fields who want to become data scientists. Appropriate for those with backgrounds in the social or biological science and MBAs who want to enhance their analytics skills. Recent college graduates in physical or social sciences who want to become analytics professionals may also apply. Typical MScA student have two or more years of work experience.
Organizations of all types collect data on their customers, markets, processes, and infrastructure, then analyze that data to develop business insights and machine-based intelligent systems. This means analytics has rapidly become a broad and dynamic field experiencing a significant shortage of qualified talent.
Big data and the expansion in different kinds of data structures demand that data scientists work with larger and more complex data sets to answer increasingly challenging questions. Students of data science must master not only the traditional analytical theory and practice but also learn emerging new technologies.
Analytics students have highly sought after skill sets that can be applied in almost any industry. One of the main goals of the MScA program is to give students the tools to be highly successful professionals in business analytics and data science.
The University of Chicago Master of Science in Analytics attracts students from all over the world to our downtown Chicago campus. Our students use their degree as a springboard to dive into the analytics field, discover new ways to use analytics to explore complex questions, and shape themselves into leaders in the analytics community.
Data Science Courses That Make You Career-Ready
Our coursework has a practical focus that will see you:
- Acquiring advanced proficiency in applying state-of-the-art data engineering and software skills to support a variety of analytics applications
- Learning data collection and preparation methodologies including identifying relevant data sources, preparing data for analytics, and automating the data preparation process
- Gaining an in-depth understanding of established and state-of-the-art statistical modeling, machine learning, and artificial intelligence techniques
- Designing and implementing applied research by using analytics tools relevant to strategic business issues, while working with real data sets provided by our industry partners in the Capstone project
- Building effective leadership and communication skills which includes developing impactful, practical solutions and understanding the marriage between business and analytics strategy
MScA Graduate Career Outlook
According to World Economic Forum, the rapid evolution of machines and algorithms in the workplace could create 133 million new roles in place of seventy-five million that will be displaced between now and 2022.
Additionally, World Economic Forum forecasts that by 2025, machines will perform more current work tasks than humans, compared to 71% being performed by humans today.
Data science and analyst jobs are among the most challenging to fill, taking five days longer to find qualified candidates than the market average.
The following career data is compiled from a quarterly survey answered by our students:
- 30% of employers provide tuition assistance.
- 75% of students found a new job by the time they graduated.
- Student salaries increased by 33%.
- Graduate salaries increased by 52%.
We Support Your Career Goals
The MScA program offers dedicated guidance to students on their career journey, from internships to full-time positions, through a variety of resources:
- Partnership with the UChicagoGRAD Career Development Team
- Two Career Fairs per year, one in Autumn and one in Winter
- On-campus company information sessions
- Alumni networking events
- Workshops on building your resume, cover letter, and LinkedIn page
- Coaching on technical interviewing, analyzing case studies, and negotiating your salary
- Access to the GRAD Gargoyle job portal
The program provides the training and develops the skill set required to solve complex problems at the intersection of statistics, computer science, and business expertise.Keval Shaw, MScA Student
Big data and cutting-edge technology can help solve some of the hardest problems we face. Get up to speed on these rapidly-changing fields and apply a quantitative approach to any challenge.Learn more about Applied Science