Master's Applied Science

Master of Science in Analytics

Frequently Asked Questions

When are applications due?

Applications are accepted twice per year, spring and autumn intake only.

View application requirements

When will I receive my admission decision?

All admissions decisions are released after the corresponding application deadline. Decisions are not released on a rolling basis. Please refer to the How to Apply page for when you will receive your decision.

If I finish my application before the deadline, will I receive my decision early?

Unfortunately, no. Admission decisions are not offered on a rolling basis. The MScA admission committee reviews all applications at one time.

How do I submit the materials that will accompany my application?

All materials must be uploaded as part of the online application process. This includes unofficial transcripts, candidate statement, resume or CV, and letters of recommendation. The admissions office will not accept attachments sent by email to be included in an online application.

Does the admissions office allow recommenders to email their letter directly as an attachment to be included in an applicant’s file?

Unfortunately, no. Recommenders must upload their letter of support by using the URL that is sent to them electronically by our online application system.

Do I need to provide my recommenders with instructions?

No. Forms for letters of recommendation, along with instructions for completing and submitting the letters, are sent electronically to recommenders once names are added to the online application.

My recommender did not receive notification, can I resend it?

Yes. If a recommender does not receive a URL to complete a recommendation, the applicant may resend a duplicate link from their online application, or request the recommender check their spam folder.

Can I apply more than once for a start term, if I was already denied during an earlier review period?

No, you may only apply once per start term. You cannot apply for the same start term, if you were not offered admission previously. However, if you were not offered admission for the Spring start term, you may apply for the next Autumn start term and vice versa.

I took the GRE and want to include my score with my application. Is the GRE or GMAT required?

While we do not require the GRE or GMAT for admission, we strongly recommend students with less than two full years of work experience submit a score. All applicants are welcome to include their score along with the application. The GRE school code is 1832. The GMAT school code is H9X-WG-70.

What materials do I need to submit to accompany my application for admission?

Please carefully review the list of application materials to ensure your application file is completed on time.

I am an international student and completed my degree(s) outside of the United States. Why do I need to submit a course-by-course evaluation?

A course-by-course evaluation must translate courses, degrees, and grades to US equivalency. This evaluation is required for all application files with foreign transcripts. Evaluations must be completed by an accredited NACES member.

When should I forward my course-by-course evaluation?

An applicant’s course-by-course evaluation must be submitted along with all other application materials by the deadline.

Once I upload my unofficial transcripts to my application, do I still need to provide an official transcript?

Yes. One unofficial transcript from each university attended must be uploaded within the application. Please do not mail transcripts as part of your admission application; we only require unofficial uploads for application evaluation. If you are offered admission, one official transcript for each university attended will be required at least one month prior to matriculation. An unofficial transcript for undergraduate coursework is still required for the application even if you hold an advanced degree(s).

I attended a U.S. high school for two years. Do I have to take the TOEFL/IELTS?

No, you do not have to take the TOEFL/IELTS if one of the two years has been within the last five years. However, you must submit a transcript that shows that you have attended high school in the U.S.

I don't have the required TOEFL/IELTS score. Can I retake the TOEFL/IELTS once I arrive in the U.S.?

No. The fulfillment of the English language requirement is one of the elements required for us to issue you a visa document. If your TOEFL/IELTS score does not meet the requirement, we cannot issue the document, and you will not be able to enter the country. So it is imperative that you retake the test right away.

I have taken the SAT/GRE/GMAT. Do I have to take the TOEFL/IELTS?

Yes, you do. While the SAT/GRE/GMAT are significant indicators of your academic aptitude, they do not specifically address your English language proficiency. So you have to take the TOEFL or IELTS and submit the results along with your other test results.

I received my secondary education in Germany and earned the highest marks in English throughout. Do I have to take the TOEFL/IELTS?

Yes, you do. Since you do not fall into one of the categories of individuals who would be exempt from taking the TOEFL/IELTS, you must provide a TOEFL/IELTS score.

I studied in Belize for several years. Since the University of Chicago website says that students who studied in an English-speaking country are exempt from the TOEFL/IELTS, does that mean that I do not have to take the TOEFL/IELTS?

Unfortunately no. While the official language of Belize is English, only those students are exempt who have studied in one or more of a specific set of English-speaking countries. Those are the U.S., the United Kingdom, Ireland, Australia, New Zealand and English medium universities in Canada and South Africa. Someone who studied in an English-speaking country other than these must take the TOEFL or IELTS.

I have worked in the U.S. for more than two years. Does that mean that I am exempt from the TOEFL/IELTS requirement?

No, you must take the TOEFL or IELTS. The University's policy stipulates that individuals who have studied in the U.S. for at least one year within the past five years are exempt from having to take the TOEFL/IELTS, but employment does not meet that requirement.

I took the TOEFL over two years ago. Can I still use those TOEFL results?

No, since the TOEFL is only valid for two years after the test date.

I am an international student and require a visa to study. Will the University of Chicago help me?

Yes. The MScA program encourages international students to apply, and will assist with securing an F-1 visa upon admission.

What is the total cost of tuition?

As part of the I-20 process, the Office of International Affairs will conduct a thorough review of financial documentation (e.g. bank statements, letter(s) of support, etc.) to verify that international students have access to the total cost of attendance which includes tuition, student fees, health insurance, books and supplies, and living expenses. Learn about the current cost of tuition.

Is the MScA an approved OPT/STEM program? 

Yes. Please visit our Office of International Affairs website for more information.

Does the MScA program offer Curricular Practical Training (CPT)?

Yes. Eligible students must be enrolled full-time for one academic year (or three consecutive quarters) to qualify. Students must also be able to present an employment offer letter to complete the application process. Please visit the Office of International Affairs website for more information.

How do I submit my TOEFL or IELTS scores?

Please have an official TOEFL or IELTS score sent directly to the University of Chicago. The University's institution code for TOEFL reporting is 1832; if you are taking the IELTS, you should contact the test center where you took the IELTS test directly and request that your test scores be sent electronically to "The University of Chicago - Graduate Enrollment." TOEFL and IELTS scores that are over two years old at the time the application is submitted are no longer valid. If you have not yet taken the TOEFL or IELTS, please list the date on which you will take the test. Applications are considered incomplete and will not be reviewed unless an official test score is received directly from the test center by the application deadline.

What are the minimum scores required?

The minimum required score for the TOEFL is 104 overall. Minimum required scores in the IELTS are an overall score of seven. (Note: students are required to take the Academic Reading/Writing test within IELTS, not the General Training Reading/Writing test). TOEFL or IELTS score reports are valid for two years and scores will be considered expired if the test was taken more than two years prior to submission of the application. Photocopies of TOEFL or IELTS Score Reports will not be considered valid.

Can I request a waiver for submitting an English proficiency score with my application?

The English language requirement may be waived if the applicant is a native of or studied in full-time status for at least one academic year within the last five years in the U.S., the United Kingdom, Ireland, Australia, New Zealand or English medium universities in Canada or South Africa. Students who studied in English in other countries, for example, India, Pakistan, the Philippines, Hong Kong, Singapore, etc., are not exempt from the English language requirement.

Who must take the TOEFL/IELTS?

Everyone who is an international student, has not studied for at least one academic year within the last five years in a school in the United States, the United Kingdom, Ireland, Australia, New Zealand, or an English-medium university in Canada or South Africa, must take the TOEFL or IELTS.

When should I take the TOEFL/IELTS?

You should take the TOEFL/IELTS in time to be able to have the results submitted at the time of your application. To find out more about when TOEFL/IELTS examinations are scheduled at a test site near you, please consult the TOEFL and IELTS websites.

I received my education in Singapore in English. Do I have to take the TOEFL/IELTS?

Yes, you do. Students who have studied in English in Singapore are not among those exempt from the TOEFL/IELTS.

How will I be notified that I am admitted to the MScA program?

Applicants of the MScA program will be notified electronically via email.

If I am admitted to the MScA program, what do I do next?

If offered admission, newly admitted students will be required to provide official transcripts for each college or university as reported on their application. University Registrar may mail physical hardcopies to The University of Chicago Professional Education | Attention: MScA Admissions | 455 N Cityfront Plaza Dr., Suite 950 Chicago, Illinois 60611. Electronic copies (from University Registrar or clearinghouse) may be sent to Analytics admissions team. Details on other post-acceptance activities will be sent shortly after being admitted.

What can I expect after being admitted?

As part of the MScA program, course activities begin prior to the official start of each intake quarter (spring and autumn). Pre-quarter courses covering introduction to statistical concepts (aka, “stats boot camp”) and an R workshop are held. Students with little to no evidence of completing coursework in statistics may be required to complete this five-week pre-quarter course (Example: spring courses officially begin in late March and boot camp will take place mid- to late February; autumn courses officially begin in late September and boot camp will take place mid- to late August).

Does the MScA program accept transfer credit?

Unfortunately, students are not able to transfer in credit. However, students may request to replace a course(s) upon program review and approval through the petition process after being admitted.

If I am admitted to the MScA program, can I defer my acceptance?

An application to the MScA program should be submitted for the quarter/year in which you intend to enroll. Deferrals are handled on a case-by-case basis at the discretion of the MSCA administration, and are rarely granted.

What is the difference between a Master of Science in Analytics (MScA) degree and a Data Analytics for Business Professionals Certificate (DABP)?

MScA is for business professionals who aim to become analytics professionals with advanced data analysis and modeling skills. Graduates of this program are employed for such roles as data scientist, data analyst, business analytics professional, or manager of analytics teams. DABP is for business professionals who would like to support their decision making with insights derived from data by using relatively simple data manipulation and analysis tools. That is, DABP sharpens decision making skills of business professionals in their own field; marketing managers with DABP certificate, for instance, make marketing related decisions on the basis of facts derived from data, rather than managerial intuition alone.

I have additional questions and need help. With whom can I speak?

If you would like to schedule a time to speak with someone in the admissions office, you may email Analytics admissions team to request a telephone appointment.