Understand, prepare, and transform data as a core component of business intelligence.Enroll
At a Glance
- Open Enrollment
- Eight weeks
Learn about the history and principles of database systems and how to clean raw data.
The University of Chicago’s eight-week Data Engineering course will provide you with a technical overview of how to understand, leverage, and report on data. You will be taught how to source, prepare, and analyze historical data.
Designed for professionals in associate level, non-technical roles who want to transition into the field of data science, data engineering, and analytics.
Often considered the most critical skill for data scientists, data engineering—also known as information engineering—looks at how to collect, analyze, and practically apply data. Expertise in data engineering is required across industries, and professionals equipped with this unique technical knowledge are an asset to any organization.
After completing the course you will be able to:
- Build and extract insights from document databases
- Create reports and dashboards in Tableau using an analytical datastore
- Develop a coherent, concise, and realistic analysis, and apply your knowledge and understanding of creating an automated end-to-end data pipeline
Understand how to implement data collection techniques, such as web scraping and survey, and how to populate a graph database and extract insights from graph datasets.
You will learn to:
- Understand databases, data classification, data formats, and data profiles.
- Apply data privacy and security, data ingestion techniques, and data quality and preparation.
- Identify the principles and best practices of relational databases.
- Use SQL, the standard language for database management.
Remote Learning Course Structure
- Eight weeks in length
- Weekly, self-paced interactive learning modules and assignments are time-sensitive and should be completed by the set deadlines
- Synchronous sessions and live question and answer sessions
- Mentors will provide continuous support and encourage a dynamic and positive learning environment
Meet Your Instructors
Data engineering is the fastest-growing occupation in the IT space, and data engineers are prized across industries and in a variety of settings. In charge of building and maintaining an organization’s data infrastructure from databases and data warehouses to data pipelines, data engineers identify trends in data sets—a skill essential to managing and converting data into the information data scientists and business analysts need to drive results. Data engineering is a broad field with applications in practically every industry. As long as there is data—and the quantities are increasing every minute—data engineers will be in demand. A career in data engineering can be both challenging and rewarding, and, with the right skill set, among the most lucrative data-driven roles.
Potential Data Engineering Job Titles
- Big Data Engineer
- Business Intelligence Engineer
- Computer Vision Engineer
- Data Architect
- Machine Learning Engineer
Big data and cutting-edge technology can help solve some of the hardest problems we face. Get up to speed on these rapidly-changing fields and apply a quantitative approach to any challenge.Learn more about Applied Science