You're Here to Learn, We're Here to Help
Courses in the Editing certificate program are designed to prepare students to enter the publishing industry and to help current editing professionals build skills and knowledge for career advancement.
You will learn to:
- Describe and manage the publishing process and the role and responsibility of the copy editor
- Master The Chicago Manual of Style as an editing tool
- Develop strategies for approaching an editing or proofing project
- Navigate and implement emergent marketing technologies
Editing Certificate Program Structure
- Four required courses and one elective course. Should you be interested in taking more electives than what is required for certificate completion, be sure to ask your program manager about the Alumni Scholarship.
- Class sizes range from ten to twenty students per course
- Students can complete the certificate in as little as three quarters
- Students who successfully complete the program are awarded a certificate from the UChicago to signify their achievement.
Online editing course format
- Four to seven weeks course length
- All remote courses start on a Monday with a full week of self-study activities in Canvas, our learning management system
- Asynchronous learning and materials are time-sensitive and must be completed within required timeframes
- Weekly, self-paced learning in Canvas leads to one synchronous session per week
- When registering for a course, "Online self-paced" refers to the course's beginning and end dates, "Online fixed dates" refer to synchronous sessions.
- Synchronous sessions are conducted through Zoom
- Attendance to synchronous sessions is mandatory
Core courses (Choose 4):
To earn your Editing Certificate from UChicago, you must successfully complete all four core editing courses. Please refer to our list of available options below for course information and availability.
Elective Courses (Choose 1):
You have the flexibility to choose from a range of elective courses that align with your specific interests and career goals. Please refer to our list of available elective options below for course information and availability.
Your Industry Moves Fast. So Do We.
With flexible online formats, industry-active instructors, and short course timelines, our editing certificate provides fast-track options for career advancement.