Essentials of Project Management
Launch your project management career through managerial and technical training.Request more information
At a Glance
- Full-time, Part-time, Open Enrollment
- Five weeks Part-time
- In-person, Remote, Hybrid
$1,400 per course$2,800 for certificate
Learn the technical and interpersonal skills needed to master the basic theory and practice of project management.
Master the fundamentals of modern project management, both managerial and technical. Through interactive discussions and group assignments, you will gain direct experience using tools and techniques to successfully execute a project from start to finish. Unlike comparable programs, this certificate exposes students to many of the soft skills inherent in successful project execution: communication, interpersonal relationships, and problem-solving.
Designed for professionals interested in gaining the project management skills needed to lead in their industries.
Professional Impact of a Project Management Essentials Certificate
The number of project management jobs is growing at an exponential rate, and trained project managers can excel in any organization or industry. Participants in this program will:
- Learn to make effective decisions regarding when, how, and what degree of rigor is required in each stage of the project implementation process
- Understand the knowledge area/process group framework of project management and how to tailor it to various projects
- Learn to develop an effective project management plan
- Learn to effectively monitor and control a project
- Learn to use technology to facilitate communication and stakeholder management
- Gain insight into the factors that influence project management and project outcomes
- Apply soft skills such as communication, learning, motivation, communication styles, negotiation, conflict resolution, and team building to enhance positive project outcomes
- Apply quantitative skills to inform good decision making
- Develop an operational map for navigating projects towards successful outcomes
Authorized Training Partner Program
We are happy to announce that both of the University of Chicago's Project Management certificates have been approved as an Authorized Training Partner Program (ATP) by the Project Management Institute (PMI). The ATP program is replacing the former Registered Education Provider program.
To earn the PMI Authorized Training Partner designation, a provider must meet rigorous standards for quality and effectiveness. This program is designed to help individuals identify high-quality training and courses in project management.
ATP ensures that participants are trained:
- By a reputable organization
- With high-quality PMI-developed course content
- By PMI approved and vetted instructors
- Certificate in Essentials of Project Management
- Project Management Strategy
"I was already involved in projects that were highly complex in nature and highly dynamic—and I wanted more knowledge. Courses in the Project Management certificate are customized for highly skilled professionals who are able to exchange ideas and gain a lot from the experts in the field."
Business and Management
Today’s dynamic work environment requires leaders who can consistently innovate, make data-driven decisions, and inspire others to perform. Whether you’re in policy, marketing or management, learn ways to spark change wherever you go.Learn more about Business and Management