Medical Writing and Editing
Courses in the Medical Writing and Editing certificate program are precisely calibrated to set up your success as a medical communicator. You will learn to:
- Understand the profession of medical/technical writing and its unique characteristics
- Use the AMA Manual of Style as a writing and editing tool
- Understand the context of medical communication and the role of a proofreader or copy editor
- Organize and present scientific information to different audiences
Medical Writing and Editing Program Structure
- Five core courses and one elective course
- Complete the certificate in as little as three quarters
- Class sizes of ten to twenty students per course
- An online course guide is offered as an overview of the Medical Writing and Editing profession and community hub for students to connect and share resources throughout their time in the program
Remote Course Structure
- Five to six weeks in length. Specialization track course in Freelancing is eight-weeks in length.
- All remote courses start on a Monday with a full week of self-study activities in Canvas, our learning management system
- Weekly, self-paced learning and materials are time-sensitive and must be completed within required timeframes
- Weekly, self-paced learning in Canvas leads to one synchronous session per week
- When registering for a course, "Online self-paced" refers to the course's beginning and end dates, "Online fixed dates" refer to synchronous sessions.
- Synchronous sessions are conducted through Zoom
- Attendance to synchronous sessions is mandatory
Specialization Track in Freelancing
We offer an eight-week specialized track course designed for those interested in starting and building a successful career as freelance medical writers and editors.
Professional Discounts and Alumni Scholarships Available
Members of related professional associations qualify for a 10% discount when able to provide proof of current, valid membership. Our Alumni Scholarship Progam allows graduates of professional development certificate programs to receive a 20% scholarship towards a variety of future opportunities.Learn more