Essentials of Project Management
This certificate covers the core materials included in the Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)® or Project Management Professional (PMP)® Certification exam that is offered by the Project Management Institute.
- Students earn the Essentials of Project Management certificate by completing one remote course or two in-person courses.
- Courses are aligned with the Project Management Institute (PMI)® A Guide to the Project Management Body of Knowledge, PMBOK® Guide - Sixth Edition, Project Management Institute, Inc., 2017.
- Successful participants will earn 35 PMI® PDUs
- This is not a test prep course, nor does it guarantee successful completion of a PMI® Certification exam
- Courses are not offered for University credit
- Classes are offered remotely
PMI, PMP, and the PMBOK are registered marks of the Project Management Institute, Inc.
- Convenient, two-day seminar format on Thursday and Friday from 9 a.m.–4:30 p.m. at the University of Chicago Gleacher Center in downtown Chicago (Project Management: Idea to Completion and Making Projects Work)
- Breakfasts and lunches are included in tuition
- Participants will be assigned pre-readings and expected to participate in highly interactive discussions and group work
- Students will be expected to complete an individual or team take-home assignment after the conclusion of the last day of class (an individual assignment could be a quick quiz or a take-home paper)
- Students will be assessed towards demonstrating their mastery of the learning outcomes of each course
- The Project Management program model depends on highly interactive learning, so each course will have both a participation and assignment grade
- Five-week course length (Essentials of Project Management)
- Courses are hosted in Canvas, our learning management system
- Courses start on a Monday
- Weekly, self-paced learning and materials are time-sensitive and must be completed within required timeframes
- Synchronous sessions are conducted through Zoom
- Students will participate in group projects and online discussions as well as individual assignments and quizzes in response to recorded lectures
- Expect to spend six hours per week to meet the requirements for successful completion of the course
Alumni Scholarship Program
Allows graduates of professional development certificate programs to receive a 20% scholarship on:
- Any additional elective from the same certificate
- Any single new certificate course that does not require a prerequisite
- Any additional full certificate program: every course of the program (application is required; fee will be waived)