Learn to build, test, and maintain coherent software releases that are quick, reliable, and scalable.
The University of Chicago’s eight-week DevOps course focuses on key aspects like deployment, release, versioning, testing, packaging, and clouding. Gain hands-on experience with Datadog, Docker, Git, Jenkins, Kubernetes, the Linux environment, Maven, VMware, and more.
Designed for individual contributors, engineers, technicians, or professionals interested in technology who want to understand DevOps processes and the software life cycle.
Learning objectives in Devops
DevOps is the combination of approaches, practices, and tools that optimizes an organization’s ability to deliver services and applications at high velocity and scale. It helps create and improve products faster and more reliably than traditional software development and deployment. Learn to create more value in less time by integrating key teams and processes.
After completing the Devops course, you will be able to:
- Implement continuous integration and reduce time-to-market of software
- Design a complete infrastructure to deploy, configure, test, and monitor software
- Create a DevOps-related cloud and virtualization architecture
Students will practice DevOps fundamentals and key aspects like deployment, release, versioning, testing, packaging, and clouding. Gain hands-on experience with Datadog, Docker, Git, Jenkins, Kubernetes, the Linux environment, Maven, VMware, and more.
In the online Devops Course you will learn to:
- Design strategies involving portfolio management, budgeting, and structure
- Explore regulatory requirements, processes, and compliance
- Introduce risk governance and management into organizational culture
- Learn about concepts and identify tools for decision-making within risk management, including derivative structures and risk analysis models
- Understand different types of risks and use financial and statistical tools for risk analysis
Devops course structure
- Eight weeks in length
- Weekly, self-paced interactive learning modules and assignments are time-sensitive and should be completed by the set deadlines
- Synchronous sessions and live question and answer sessions
- Mentors will provide continuous support and encourage a dynamic and positive learning environment
Weekly course schedule
Gain an overview of DevOps, operating systems, scripting and task automation, clouding, and virtualization.
Learn more about the fundamentals of DevOps principles and practices.
Learn to deploy and/or build software, link software to external libraries, identify when and how to upgrade libraries, and how to use a compiler to translate programming language into machine language.
Learn to implement the change management processes, schedule building releases, utilize a source code manager like GitHub, and automate new software releases.
Explore functional testing, load/performance testing, and regression testing.
Learn to copy and upload the software compiled to a given machine, identify strengths and weaknesses of different packaging methods, and select the optimal packaging method for a particular context.
Learn about identifying effective database management practices and selecting between different formats for storing software configurations, utilizing mesh services to connect and communicate between differentiated independent components of the software system, and developing methods to track changes in software configurations.
Learn to use Data Dog software to collect user data and graph metrics in real time, monitor software performance by interpreting metrics in relation to others, establish a threshold for each metric to identify and report issues, and select metrics to log and make decisions about how to store, compress, and archive logs.
Meet your instructor
Our course instructor has wide-ranging experience in technology, computer science, and software engineering and development.
The pervasive skills shortage within the DevOps recruitment market and a growing number of jobs requiring DevOps or platform engineering experience offers DevOps practitioners near-limitless career opportunities. Between start-ups building DevOps models into their product development and large, technology-driven companies creating new DevOps roles, DevOps experts are in demand within the IT space. The DevOps market is expected to grow at a CAGR of 24.7% to total 10.3 billion dollars by 2023.
Potential job titles for Devops professionals
- Azure DevOps Engineer
- Cloud DevOps Engineer
- Cloud Infrastructure Engineer
- DevOps Automation Engineer
- DevOps Engineer
- DevOps Manager
- DevSecOps Engineer
- Lead DevOps Engineer